These sweet and sad little faces are hand drawn, by moi, and converted into illustrator files for printing onto heat transfers for fabric. The process is very simple, there is a short tutorial below. One of my favorite illustrator tricks.
1. Start by drawing your design on paper, for these I just used a marker.Scan the images onto your computer. I drew the illustrations in black ink, so I scanned them as a black and white drawing.
2. Open the scanned image in photo shop. I tooled around with the curves to give the image more contrast for crisp more pronounced images.
3. Copy the scanned image and pasted it into a blank illustrator document.
4. Click the image and click live trace. There are a bunch of tracing options, I used the default setting "simple trace".
5. Next play with the threshold and min area sliders until I you have the desired look to the illustration.
6. Then click live paint and expand and you're hand drawing is turned into vector art.
After all of this, I recolored the images and drew the finishing touches that I wanted in
Artwork copyright April Borrelli 2013 - not to be re-posted or used without permission of author.